Pinned it…tried it…see my results! {Cleaning}

Don't throw away your old cookie sheets. Use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to clean them with NO scrubbing!How many of us have seen those pictures of pinterest gone wrong?!  You know where someone tries some recipe that seems incredibly easy but it comes out looking like a hot mess?!  I’ve had decent success with recipes but I love cooking and baking.  Actually, I’m that person who reads the recipe and as I’m making it tweak it to my own tastes often before I’ve even tried the original.  (My mom is that way too so I blame her!)  I think of recipes as more of a set of guidelines that I follow fairly close but not necessarily!

Tonight as I was putting dishes away I noticed one of my small cookie sheets for my toaster oven has that golden brown gunky buildup from cooking sprays along the sides.  Its to the point where it felt “sticky” when I picked it up.   I remembered that I saw a pin about getting your pans clean and here is my experience! (Click Image for the Pin!)

First of all the original blog post is from the Jillee {see it here} at One Good Thing.  I love reading her blog posts so thought I’d give her idea a try.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I started off with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.  I followed her suggestion for roughly 1/4 cup of baking soda and slowly added the hydrogen peroxide until I formed a paste.  *Note* In my picture I think I may have added a little too much so it might have taken longer to dry.

First I applied it with my fork that I used to mix it up with, then I let it set for about an hour and a half.  It was still pretty soft and after reading some comments on Jillee’s post by others I decided to go in with a spatula and my fingers and sort of grind the paste around on the stains and then re-spread it out since it had absorbed some of the liquid.  Then I let it sit overnight so it was a good 12+ hours after I started this project.

Results:

PicsArt_1375194643287

First of all I used a pan scraper to scrape up the baking soda.  I noticed some yellow stains in the baking soda but nothing like the results I saw in others’ posts.  I did notice where in some spots it removed part of the staining but it still wasn’t flawless…I think I’m going to have to check and see if I missed something in the directions or maybe re-read the comments to see how others got it to work!

I give this pin a C+ grade.  I followed the directions and gave it a shot.  Maybe after altering the process I’ll get it to work.  (If I do, I’ll let you know!)

Let me know if you’d like to see more Pin It … Tried It posts!

Thanks for stopping by Gracious Luck and have a fantastic day!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s